Friday, July 16, 2004

Why Do They Hate Us?

We (the United States) think we should be saving the world, but the world does not want to be saved.

We (the United States) think that it is our job to police the world. It is not. And the world does not want to be policed.

We (the United States) think we should bring democracy to the world, forcefully if necessary, but the world does not want democracy (at least not our version of it) and it certainly does not want democracy forced upon it by means of a military invasion.

We (Christians) think that we should be converting the world, but the world does not want to be converted. Most already have their own religion.

Has any of this saving, policing, democracizing or converting done us or anyone else any good?

It is no wonder that so many people hate our country. We have been meddling in everyone else's affairs for decades. We are not wanted there. We should just stay home and mind our own business...like our neighbors to the north in Canada.

I certainly do not condone the actions of terrorists, but I do understand the hate and rage that leads to these actions. I believe that I have felt such hate and rage at various times in my life. In a way I feel superior to the terrorists because I have not acted upon my feelings and committed horrible acts. But in another way, I feel like a coward.

No comments: