Monday, November 26, 2007

We Haven't Learned Yet

I should say they haven't learned yet. It certainly wasn't me out there lined up at 4AM Friday morning ready to whip out my credit card.

According to a news story I heard while listening to the Sunday morning polka show on WALN from Allentown (sorry I can't pick up Big Moose on WOWQ where I live) spending on the day after Thanksgiving (not calling it "Black Friday" cuz I don't want to "offend" anyone) was up 8 percent over last year.

I don't know about anyone else, but I cannot advocate any increase in spending given the uncertainty of our economic situation. With the price of energy going who knows how high and the price of everything else following along, frivolous spending is just out of the question as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately the Shack Kids are old enough to understand that this will be one very lean Christmas coming up for our family. Because I'm just not willing to go along with the rest of the crowd and get even deeper into debt given the economic situation of not only our family but of the entire nation.

So Sayeth The Shack

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Jeni said...

I think, if memory serves me correctly, this was the first time I have EVER gone and done any shopping on "Black Friday." Mandy and I did venture over to Clearfield late Friday morning -never, ever gonna find my fat fanny in line for ANYTHING at 4 a.m. -other than to sit at my computer and play maybe. LOL Definitely won't see me outside on a November morning at that hour, for sure. I did find a couple of items for Christmas gifts and then, as of this Monday after I got my grandson's "book list" and placed an order to Barnes & Noble, my shopping for the holiday is DONE! Kaput would be a better word perhaps. Nothing fancy coming to anyone from me -just a gift here and there of something I figure each one can use/need -want does not come into that configuration -never has, never will. (As I always told my kids when they would give me a "want" list - "People in Hell want ice water too. See how far that gets them." Yeah, curmudgeon, huh?