Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Kerry's Catholic Quandary

As a member of the Catholic Church, Senator Kerry claims that he is opposed to abortion. Yet, as a presidential candidate, he must court the "pro-choice" vote, and, as a politician, whether senator or eventually president, he must represent the majority of his constituents, even if that majority opinion conflicts with his religious beliefs. This is called "separation of church and state", and is part of the constitution of this country. (By the way, does anyone know, are "pro-choicers" a majority in this country, or just a highly vocal minority, like gays and those promoting gay marriage?) There are those who seem to have a problem with Kerry's "two-sided" stance on the abortion issue. This includes some Catholic Church leaders who seem to feel that he should not be allowed to receive communion. If this is the case, there are a lot of other Catholics who should be denied communion. I hear many say "I'm Catholic, but I'm pro-choice" or, "I'm Catholic, but I disagree with the Pope on such-and-such." I have said this before...the Catholic Church is NOT a democracy. What the Pope says goes, and if you cannot abide by that, you should not call your self a Catholic. But I am wandering from my original point, which is, this country IS a democracy, with church and state constitutionally separate. No political leader, in any capacity, from small-town mayor to president, has the right to push his or her religious beliefs on anyone. In this respect, I feel that Senator Kerry is simply doing his job as a political leader...keeping his religious beliefs separate from his political statements and actions. For that, if nothing else, The Shack respects Senator Kerry.

--So Sayeth The Shack

No comments: